Public advised to avoid all contact with lake water due to health risks for people and animals.
CLICK HERE FOR MORE INFORMATION
Today the Kitsap Public Health District issued a cyanobacteria warning for Long Lake in South Kitsap. The public should to avoid all contact with water in Long Lake due to the presence of potentially toxic cyanobacteria, also known as blue-green algae.
There are many different types of cyanobacteria and not all blooms are toxic. The cyanobacteria present in Long Lake are known to produce toxins.
Because toxic cyanobacteria can make people sick, and can kill pets, fish, waterfowl and livestock, the public is advised to:
- Avoid all contact with the lake water until further notice. This means no swimming, wading, or types of water play where water could be swallowed or get in the mouth, nose or eyes (especially in areas where blooms are concentrated).
- Avoid ingesting lake or stream water. If a resident draws lake water for drinking purposes, they are encouraged to drink bottled water until further notice.
- Limit access of pets and livestock to the lake.
- Avoid eating fish caught during the algae bloom.
- Rinse boats and trailers thoroughly before going to another lake.
No illnesses have been reported to Kitsap Public Health at this time. Advisory signs will be posted at public access areas around the lake. The Health District will continue to monitor for cyanobacteria and announce updates as conditions change.